Friday, October 16, 2009

My Beef with Regional Coverage

I currently reside in Pullman, WA in the NW part of the United States.  From previous experience (Virginia Tech-Nebraska game), I expected to get a shafted by the coverage map for Saturday's football games on ABC and ESPN.  I knew that the Pac-10 game would take precedence over any other game.  That, to the general area of where I live, is fair.  Personally, I would much rather watch Big 12 games, but Pac 10 games generate more excitement.  No argument.  However, I knew that there would be Standard Definition Distribution with a second game (I believe on ESPN2).  In other words, I would get another game, too!  This is where I was hoping to get lucky and get the Nebraska game.

Well, the coverage map came out and to say the least I was frustrated.  75% of the map was the Penn State/Minnesota game.  So, I'm left with Cal/UCLA and Penn State/Minnesota.  I just don't quite understand the reasoning of ABC and ESPN on this coverage map.

Its dissapointing to realize why the map is set up this way.  Nebraska is being punished, in a way, for having their fan base.  Non-Nebraska or surrounding area Nebraska fans (which there are TONS of) much pay for College GameDay to see these games.  ESPN and ABC are not picking the best game for the nation to watch, they are picking games based on what will get them MORE money.  It is sad.

They may try to make you feel better by offering it on ESPN360 (a completely online way of watching games), but don't be fooled.  Its just not the same, and the system is still pretty rough, with chronic freezing and restarting.

No comments:

Post a Comment